Wednesday, September 17, 2008

So I got a star in PW...

Like a good little publishing drone, I read Publisher's Weekly every Monday afternoon. As I flip through the pages, I read articles about the demise of publishing, what editors won auctions, stole which writer from which house, or signed new two-book deals. Then I purse the bestseller list. While reading the bestseller list, I search for one of the many titles that fly around the office. Right now, everyone could use a couple bestsellers to keep the Grinch's at bay. There are weeks, I find one or two and I get the warm fuzzes. There is sense of joy when you find that others want you spent months of your life diligently working on. Then there are weeks, not a peep of interest. These days that brings a sense of dread.

After experiencing the high and lows of the bestseller, I go on to the book reviews. For me, the book reviews are about being a reader. Each time I see little red star, I have hope that I will discover a little gem for my personal library. The little red stars means a great review and little extra publicity for months of work by diligent production manger. This week I had the pleasure to find the little red star next to two of the titles I have worked on. Two little red stars on two beautiful created books. One is a poetry collection and the other was graphic novel. Here another hint...One is by dead modern poet and other is book by very much alive master graphic ARTist. Guess the books!!

No comments: